Saturday, May 20, 2006

Working in a restaurant

In Japan I'm working in an Italian restaurant. At the beginning it was really tough, but now I feel really better because the guys of the staff are really funny and all close friends.
Servicing in a Restaurant in Japan is really different from other countries.
When clients come for example, the whole staff must say:"IRASHAIMASSE!". When people go out we must all say: "ARIGATOO GOZAIMASU". It's really tough for me to remember to say it.
In Italy, in some restaurants, the staff shows sometimes unhappy feeling when a client arrives (maybe because they have to work!).
The first time I entered a Japanese restaurant (as a client) I felt a little embarrassed. In fact it's not possible to stay without nobody noticing you as the whole staff shouts:"IRASHAIMASSE!!!!!" when you get in.

The first thing I must do when clients sit down is to serve them OSHIBORI (look at the photo). What is it? It's a wet and hot napkin that you use to wash your hands. After that, I must bring them a glass of water, which is free. So, if you haven’t got a lot of money (as most young Italians) it is really a good opportunity, because you can eat without buying any beverages!


Normally it's not so difficult being a waiter in a Japanese restaurant. It's important to be really kind and not to pour everything on their clothes (but I think this precaution is valid all over the world). But I said, normally.
In fact one day I had to service 4 people. I went with my big smile to the table and I tried to service oshibori to the first one. This person looked like a statue. What happened??? I tried again but nothing, it seemed that he had been struck by a lightning....oh, maybe I smell so bad?? I looked around really scared and someone made me understand to try with the next person. I tried and he got
oshibori! WOW! I tried again with the first one and he got it! double WOW!!!!! Wonderful, is it a Japanese game?!
But it wasn't finished I had to service other two people... mmmm..so I thought: "who is the miser boy???" I tried with the first one and... ACH! I got wrong...I got the miser boy......
After that experience I understood that in Japan there is a hierarchy also to service in the restaurant!
How difficult is life for a poor Italian who lives here....




5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Po poopo po popo popo pooo!!!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ci vuole un coraggio a mollare l'italia e andare in giappone, dove c'è tutta un'altra cultura completamente diversa dalla nostra! io, sarei una di questi coraggiosi :°D
ps. ma tra camerieri parli in japponese o cosa? hai fatto fatica per impararlo?
by una piccola curiosa

1:41 PM  
Blogger Teo said...

Ciao splendora!
grazie della visita!

Io dico sempre che ci vuole coraggio a stare in Italia e fare per tutta la vita LA STESSA VITA!

Si prova, ma almeno si prova invece di marcire in ufficio.... ;-)

Sono altri i coraggiosi!
Il giappo per me è una bella mazzata, ma piano piano affrontandolo nel modo giusto qualcosa sta venendo fuori. Ma per essere completamente autonomo ci vorrà ancora un anno... ma come mai sei venuta sulla versione in inglese?? Purtroppo non riesco più a portarlo avanti...
Per fare il cameriere devi usare gli occhi più che altro...e lavorare come una cane e via!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work guys. Good stuff. I found lots of intresting things here. I will be back!
- www.teohiromi.blogspot.com 3
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zxsrweo bpx rvxpd bondage lesbian

ebdeq!

gvjiu jjjuzv fla latina hardcore

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home